We may have left summer (or if you are in the southern hemisphere are closing in on it), but it is always a grand time to grill something. As someone who has stood outside in 2 feet of snow, wearing a Hawaiian shirt over a ski jacket, there is no wrong weather to grill in. There is a time and a place for that 12 hour long (or longer) session to make a perfectly cooked, tender, melt in your mouth brisket. However, that doesn’t mean every time you fire up a grill that is what you should be going for. I’ve come up with some easy yet still amazingly tasty recipes for the grill. Remember, there are some health risks to consuming under cooked meats, so ensure that whatever you are grilling is done to the correct temperature.
10) Easy Steak – A good (or even a decent) piece of beef doesn’t require a whole lot to make it tasty. About an hour before cook time pull out your steak and rub it down with kosher salt and fresh cracked black course pepper. When it comes time to cook, let it go about 5 minutes on one side right over a medium to medium high bed of coals and then another 5 on the other. Depending on how thick your steak and how done you want it, you may want to let it go a few minutes longer.
9) Peppered Ribeye Steaks – Of course if you were looking for something that might take a touch longer, but could ring with even more flavor in the steak arena, try out this easy recipe.
8) Chicken breasts – Most stores will now sell you boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders. Make sure you have a few of these defrosted and bring your grill up to a medium heat. Rub them down with your favorite barbeque style rub. Next cook them over an indirect heat, turning about half way through. They should take about 20-30 minutes. In the last 5 minutes use a kitchen brush to paint some BBQ sauce on them. The heat will turn it into a glaze.
7) Chipotle Orange Chicken Legs – Some people say that the BBQ flavor on chicken is overdone. If that is the case, or perhaps you are just looking for something a bit different, why not give this Asian inspired dish a try.
6) Italian Chicken Thighs – Chicken being fairly easy to come by, let’s not leave the bird just yet. This one is easy, just takes a bit of planning. Put your thighs into a seal top bag and dump in a bottle of your favorite Italian salad dressing. Squeeze out as much air as possible and let the chicken marinade overnight. When it comes time to cook 20-30 minutes over an indirect medium heat should get you there.
5) Pineapple Chicken Kabobs – What is it that makes us love to eat a meal that has been impaled on a mini-spear? I can’t tell you, but there is something that makes it such a treat. The plus side is that it doesn’t have to be a hard detailed item to make.
4) Sweet and Spicy Shrimp – Sure, this might not sound like a dish to take to the grill, but I promise you, there is not much that can be made on the kitchen that you can’t make out on the grill as well. And for you I offer these tasty treats (just click on the pic).
3) Hamburger – And just where would this list be without a good burger on it? If there is a more iconic way to make meat on the grill, I can’t think of it. They can be quite easy to pull off, so be sure to click on the pic and check it out.
1) Pork Chops – You don’t think we could go a whole list and not have at least one pig entry did you? These are quick easy and amazingly tasty. Come to think of it, I might just have to go fire up the grill to make some for myself this evening.